Dogs love to chew – it’s how they keep their teeth clean and their gums healthy. But not all dog chews are created equal. Store-bought options can be expensive, and many are made with ingredients you can’t pronounce. If you’re looking for a healthy, affordable alternative, why not try making your own sweet potato dog chews? This easy recipe only requires a few ingredients, and your pup will love the results!
Can Dogs Eat Sweet Potatoes?
Sweet potatoes are a nutritious food that is full of fiber and beta-carotene. They are also low in calories and can be a great source of energy for your dog. However, they should not be fed to dogs who are sensitive or allergic to them since they can cause digestive upset.
Some dogs can eat sweet potatoes, but others cannot. If your dog has any allergies to plants like carrots, beets, or parsley, then he will most likely have an allergic reaction when consuming sweet potatoes. In addition, many dogs are sensitive to the high levels of sugar in sweet potatoes.
If your dog has a condition such as diabetes or hypoglycemia, then he may react negatively to the sugar content in sweet potatoes. If you know your dog is one of these types of dogs, then it’s best to avoid giving him sweet potatoes.
Sweet Potato Benefits
If you’re looking for a healthy and delicious treat for your dog, look no further than sweet potatoes! Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of vitamins A and C, as well as fiber. They’re also low in calories and fat, making them a perfect option for dogs who are watching their weight.
In addition to being a healthy snack, sweet potatoes can also help to clean your dog’s teeth. The chewy texture of the sweet potato helps to remove plaque and tartar from your dog’s teeth, keeping their smile bright and healthy.
Are Sweet Potato Chews for Dogs Safe?
As with any treat, it is important to monitor your dog while they are enjoying their sweet potato chew. Make sure the chew is the appropriate size for your dog, and take it away if they start to choke or show any signs of distress.
Sweet potato chews make a great healthy snack for your pup, and are much safer than traditional rawhide chews. Be sure to check the ingredients list on any sweet potato chews you purchase, as some brands may add artificial flavors or colors.
Sweet Potato Dog Chews Recipe
- 2 sweet potatoes
- Wash Sweet Potatoes make sure it's clean
- Preheat your oven to 250F (130C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Peel the sweet potatoes then use a knife or mandoline to cut each sweet potato into 1/4-inch slices
- Arrange them in a single layer on the baking sheet and bake for 2 1/2-3 hours flipping them halfway through baking until they are shrunken and dried out. Some smaller pieces may be a little crispy but still very tasty.
- Let cool, then store in an air-tight container in the fridge for about 3 weeks
- Dehydrate at 115° for 10-12 hours
- Dehydrate at 135° for 6-8 hours
- Dehydrate at 200° for 2-3 hours
- Always check with your veterinarian before introducing any new foods into your dog’s diet.